Tuesday 11 February 2014

Jojoba Oil: The Best Moisturiser for Sensitive Skin?

Hi folks! Today I want to talk about jojoba oil and share my personal experiences with the product.

Firstly and perhaps most importantly...disclaimer time....This is about MY experience with this product and this blog is not intended to give advice. People have different skin and different tolerances and what suits one person may irritate another.

In my 2 years of steroid withdrawal, I hadn't really heard much mention of jojoba oil. Maybe just the odd mention on the forum, but nothing that stood out in my memory. My actual "discovery" of this oil came when I was reading a skin forum (not itsan) about different emollients. One of the experts posting in the forum recommended jojoba oil as being different to other oils because it very closely resembles skin sebum and is therefore tolerated a lot better than other oils and creams.

This got me curious and I was keen to discover more.

My research led to a lot of discoveries about jojoba. For instance, did you know that jojoba is not an oil at all, but rather a wax? And yes, the wax esters are very similar indeed to human skin sebum.

In fact, people with acne often use jojoba as a moisturiser because it has a balancing effect, but the really clever part is that it does not dry the skin out either. it balances it. The effect is to recreate optimum skin conditions.

But there is more...so much more. Studies on rats showed that jojoba is an anti-inflammatory and also, most importantly for TSW people, it LOWERS NITRIC OXIDE LEVELS!!!! This is very important, as the reason we flare is because of excess Nitric oxide in the blood. Surely a moisturiser that lowers nitric oxide has to be as close as it gets to perfect, right? It also has been shown to reduce edema, another big problems during steroid withdrawal.

In fact, in all my research on jojoba, I didn't find anything negative about it online. Nothing but praise. I then revisited the itsan forum and typed "jojoba" into the search box, only to find that many clever forumites have been using this fantastic oil and extolling its virtues for ages, I just hadn't noticed before.

So anyway, I bought a bottle to see if the hype was true. I bought the smallest bottle because I'm cautious like that and despite my enthusiasm, experience has told me to be reserved about such things.

The oil itself, or should I say WAX, is rather thick and a little goes a long way. One drop could spread over half my face. When you rub it in, it sinks right into the skin and there is no grease left on the skin because it does not contain triglycerides. Another good thing about it is that it is antimicrobial and antifungal, so it does not go rancid and keeps for a very long time on the shelf. It is non-toxic, non comedogenic and non-allergenic (of course, it may cause a reaction to particularly hypersensitive individuals). Jojoba oil also actually kills mildew when it comes into contact with it. It also contains beneficial vitamins and minerals like vitamin E.

I found the oil to be really good and very useful in day to day life. For example, if I have a dry patch on my face, a quick dab of jojoba and I look normal again. I also found that it worked wonders on oozy areas (could this be due to the fact it reduces nitric oxide?) and flaky areas. You know those papery scabs that won't heal? Well, I found jojoba to be pretty much the only thing that works on them quickly.

In short, if you are going to use a moisturiser during TSW (not everyone does, and I respect that), jojoba may be a good choice to consider as it is natural, contains no nasty chemicals and is anti-inflammatory. I love my little bottle and I know it will last for ages, so it has been a bargain.

Please, if you have tried jojoba and would like to share your experiences, either good or bad, I would love to hear them.

12 comments:

http://atopiclady.wordpress.com/ said...

Jojoba oil sounds interesting. I think I may check it out. I have been trying to go more natural but I am always scared to try new things. But if its very similar to our skin that has to be a good thing! Great post!

Louise said...

Yes, that's why I am cautious too. I just got the smallest bottle available.

Jo said...

Hi Louise!
I bought jojoba oil in November but maybe I bought the 'wrong' kind... Because my little bottle finished before Xmas haha. Or maybe it was because I was still looking for a quick fix and got disappointed when my skin got worse - didn't know I was going through tsw then...
But after your update I might actually give it a go again!
Thanks for sharing,
Hugs!
Http://johannabe.blogg.se

Unknown said...

I love jojoba oil too! I didn't realize that it lowers nitric oxide levels--that's amazing. I used it for a while in the past and loved it, but somehow ended up forgetting all about it amidst my steroid usage (which was stupid). I've only recently starting using it again and it really does make my skin (especially on my face) feel more natural. While it lasts, it makes you feel smooth and moisturized, but it never feels (or looks) greasy like other oils. It's benefits aren't as noticeable when I put it on other parts of my body, so I only use it for my face/neck. Glad you found something that works nicely for you!

http://itchyskinjourney.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of trying either that or shea butter for ages but wouldn't know which type to get so have put it off.

Geanna Bell said...

I have used Jojoba oil and it made my skin break out in pimples the last time but make sure it doesn't contain any alcohols like the NOW Foods brand does. The brand I use is Desert Essence, which doesn't contain any alcohols. Another thing that might help is my homemade salve, which I have posted on the ITSAN forum.

Anonymous said...

Interesting! i tried jojoba in the very beginning and it definitely didn't do the trick. I'm also looking at changing things up. Maybe its time to invest in a bottle!

Unknown said...

I been really interested in trying this as well. My arms are covered in "never healing paper scabs" so I'd love to try this!

Could you maybe post a link or more info on the exact kind you got?

Louise said...

Hi cat,
I don't think it matters what type you get, as long as it is the pure jojoba oil with nothing added.

I got mine from amazon uk and the brand was naissance.

I am amazed how well it has worked on the papery scabs. I thought nothing could get rid of them! Because the oil is so similar to skins natural oils, it just makes my skin feel smooth and hydrated. I wish I'd discovered this stuff sooner.

I'm also doing vitamin d supplements, which I am going to talk about on my next blog post, but I have found them a good and inexpensive way of improving my skin.

Best wishes. X

Vicki Turner said...

The Jojoba Company has their own jojoba farm here in Australia and they sell 100% pure Australian jojoba in many different sized bottles. You can find it in health food stores like Go Vita and some pharmacies. It is really amazing!

Ruby said...

oh cool will definitely try this for my papery scabs! My face has taken the brunt of my latest flare and this sounds gentle enough to try! xx

Unknown said...

I have been using jojoba on my skin for a little now, as I suffer from excema. If you are going to buy jojoba, I suggest buying the purest form you can get. I have included a link to the company I buy mine from, and from the looks of it that jojoba is the most natural of them. I hope this helps!

https://www.thejojobacompany.com.au/pages/benefits-of-jojoba